Linguistics @ FAU
Welcome to linguistics@fau!
Like most German universities, Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg does not have a special linguistics department, but research on language is being carried out at a number of different institutions. It covers a plethora of different research interests including historical linguistics, cognitive linguistics, computational linguistics, language learning, lexicography and language variation.
The FAU linguistics lab has the function of coordinating projects across departments within the university and of providing support concerning experimental and computational methodology. The centres – the Interdisciplinary Centre for Dialect Studies and Language Variation and The Interdisciplinary Centre for Research on Lexicography, Valency and Collocation – offer workshops and series of talks on special aspects of the respective areas of research.
A considerable number of research projects on different languages are located in the respective institutes of different faculties:
- Department Germanistik und Komparatistik (German)
- Institut für Anglistik und Amerikanistik (English)
- Institut für Romanistik (French, Italian & Spanish)
- Lehrstuhl für Arabistik und Semitistik (Arabic, Semitic Languages)
- Lehrstuhl für Fremdsprachendidaktik (English, French)
- Lehrstuhl für vergleichende indogermanische Sprachwissenschaft (Indoeuropean languages)
- Medizinische Fakultät
- AG Digital Humanities
A list of researchers dealing with language in these institutions can be found under people.